Sunday, 9 October 2016

Grease is the word: L'Oreal Extraordinary Clay Pre-shampoo Masque review

Having thick hair is a blessing and a curse. On one hand I have generally strong, healthy hair which can withstand heat and colour. But day to day it is actually very difficult to manage and takes time to wash, blowdry and straighten. I genuinely find myself scheduling workouts and evenings out around non-wash days - first world problems, eh!

This means I'm always on the lookout for products which help to tame and smoothen my hair so it's easier and quicker to style. Under the microscope today is the L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary clay pre-shampoo masque which claims to purify the scalp and leave you with light lifted roots for 72 hours. The masque is part of a collection of clay based products which also includes a shampoo, conditioner and dry shampoo.


I turn to clay based skincare products for their clarifying oil-reducing properties so it made sense to try a clay hair mask to neutralise oily roots. The mask itself has a light minty scent and is thick in texture but still easy to scoop out and apply. One pot costs £5.99 and considering it took 2-3 handfuls of product to coat my scalp there should be enough for 4-5 uses depending on hair thickness.

I left the masque to soak for 5 minutes as instructed before rinsing and following with shampoo and conditioner. Similar to the Extraordinary clay shampoo which I've also been trying out, you have to be careful to rinse out all the product or the lengths of your hair can be left feeling slightly gritty and dry.



So, does it live up to its claims? For me, yes. The first difference was that my hair was less tangled and easier to brush through when wet. Once blow dried, the roots also felt noticeably lighter. The roots continued to feel light and oil-free in my day 2 hair which is nothing new. Towards the end of the day however, my scalp usually starts to feel oily so I was pleased to find it still feeling clean. By day 3 my hair is an oil slick but apart from feeling a little greasy in the roots I wasn't itching to reach the dry shampoo. The lengths of my hair did feel a little limp but given that it is naturally thick, this wasn't really a deal-breaker for me. I would guess that for those with finer hair, dry shampoo would be needed to re-add volume particularly at the roots.

All in all the clarifying properties did seem to keep my hair fresh for three days. I did notice that after 2 consecutive uses, my hair was feeling a little coarse and dry. So rather than adding it to every single hair wash, I think I will keep it handy for use before busy weekends or holidays where I want a deeper clean to extend washes.

Does anyone else struggle to manage thick and greasy hair? Let me know if there are any other products worth trying to help tame the grease!

No comments:

Post a Comment